Welcome to my blog. I will slowly add more topics on business analytics using simulation. I hope you find my blog useful. If you are looking for my business web page, please follow this link.
My name is Dr. Bhakti Stephan Onggo SFHEA. I am an Associate Professor of Business Analytics at Southampton Business School, the University of Southampton. I am a member of the Centre for Operational Research, Management Sciences and Information Systems (CORMSIS), a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, an associate editor of the Journal of Simulation, and the chair of The OR Society‘s Special Interest Group in Simulation. I am also an Adjunct Teaching Fellow at Trinity Business School, Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin.
Previously, I was an Associate Professor of Data Analytics at Trinity Business School, Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin, and Assistant Professor in Operational Research at Lancaster University Management School, Lancaster University. My current and past leadership roles include Programme Leader for the MSc in Business Analytics & Management Sciences (Southampton), Director of Postgraduate Teaching (Lancaster) and Programme Director of MSc Business Analytics (Lancaster).
Currently, I am involved in the organisation of the following conferences:
- Track coordinator (Agent-based simulation) at the annual Winter Simulation Conference 2020 (Orlando FL, USA)
- Track coordinator (Agent-based simulation) at the annual Winter Simulation Conference 2019 (National Harbor, Maryland, USA)
My research interests lie in the areas of business analytics using simulation. I am particularly interested in simulation modelling methodology (symbiotic simulation, hybrid modelling, agent-based simulation, discrete-event simulation) with applications in supply chain management, operations management and health and social care. Currently, I am the associate editor of the Journal of Simulation and the chair of The OR Society‘s Special Interest Group in Simulation.
My selected publications since 2017 are:
- Symbiotic Simulation for the Operational Management of Inpatient Beds: Model Development and Validation using Δ-Method (Health Care Management Science 2019)
- Symbiotic Simulation for Industry 4.0’, In Simulation for Industry 4.0: Past, Present and Future. Springer Series in Advanced Manufacturing.
- Symbiotic Simulation: Hybrid Systems Model Meets Big Data Analytics (Proceedings of the 2018 Winter Simulation Conference)
- Airline Disruption Recovery using Symbiotic Simulation and Multi-Fidelity Modelling – (Proceedings of the 2018 Operational Research Society’s Simulation Workshop (SW18), pp. 146-155).
- Agri-Food Supply Chains with Stochastic Demands: a Multi-Period Inventory Routing Problem with Perishable Products (Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory)
- Inventory-Routing Problem with Stochastic Demand and Stock-out: A Solution and Risk Analysis using Simheuristic (Proceedings of the 2019 Winter Simulation Conference – in press)
- Optimising the Barrier Coverage of a Wireless Sensor Network with Hub-and-Spoke Topology using Mathematical and Simulation Models (Computers & Operations Research 2019)
- Agent-Based Simheuristics: Extending Simulation-Optimization Algorithms via Distributed and Parallel Computing (Proceedings of the 2018 Winter Simulation Conference)
- Multi-fidelity Simulation Optimisation for Airline Disruption Management (Proceedings of the 2018 Winter Simulation Conference)
Simulation Modelling and Applications
- Credible Agent-Based Simulation – An Illusion or Only a Step Away? (Proceedings of the 2019 Winter Simulation Conference – in press)
- Strengthening the Reporting of Empirical Simulation Studies: Introducing the STRESS guidelines – (JOS 2019)
- Applications of Agent-Based Simulation in the Agri-Food Supply Chains – (EJOR 2018, 269 (3):794-805)
- A BPMN Extension to Support Discrete-Event Simulation for Healthcare Applications: An Explicit Representation of Queues, Attributes and Data-Driven Decision Points – (JORS 2018, 69(5):788-802)
- Towards fully-facilitated discrete event simulation modelling: Addressing the model coding stage – (EJOR 2017, 263 (2): 583-595)
My PhD supervision interests
I am willing to supervise doctoral students in the following areas:
- Research related to the interface between simulation modelling, artificial intelligence and big data analytics techniques.
- Research related to improving the practice of simulation modelling methods (agent-based simulation, discrete-event simulation, hybrid simulation, symbiotic simulation)
- Behavioural simulation (to understand how modellers build a simulation model or how users use a simulation model for decision making; how to model human behaviour using simulation)
- Topic areas related to the applications of simulation in operations and supply chain management, health and social care, and application areas that benefit the most vulnerable in the society
As per July 2019, I have supervised five PhD students (four completed, one active) and examined PhD candidates from the following universities: Brunel (1), Cranfield (1), Lancaster (1), Limerick (2), Loughborough (1), Technological University Dublin (2) and Warwick (1).
I teach mainly business / data analytics modules such as Data Analytics, The Foundation of Business Analytics and Consulting, Digital Analytics, Spreadsheet Modelling and Computer Programming (Python, C++ and VBA) for business and management students, and Simulation Modelling (Discrete-Event Simulation, System Dynamics and Agent-Based Simulation).
Consultancy work and project supervision
Occasionally, I carry out consultation projects. My past client includes the European Commissions, Greater Manchester Police, National Nuclear Lab, Graham Engineering Ltd (SME) and Enterprise Ltd (recently bought by Amey). Every year, I supervise Masters students who work on projects from May to August in an organisation as part of their degree. Recent organisations include Jaguar Land Rover, FORD Motor Company, BAE Systems, National Nuclear Lab, and Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine. If your organisation is interested to have access to some of our talented students please contact me.
Current and past leadership roles
- Director of Taught Postgraduate Programmes (Department of Management Science)
- Director of MSc in Operational Research and Management Science
- Department representative for IT Policy committee
- Department representative for Compute Intensive Research Committee
Selected activities and news
- Track coordinator (Agent-based simulation) at the annual Winter Simulation Conference 2019 (National Harbor, Maryland, US)
- Organizing committee member at the European Conference on Operational Research (EURO) 2019 (Dublin, Ireland)
- Track coordinator (Agent-based simulation) at the annual Winter Simulation Conference 2018 (Gothenburg, Sweden)
- Stream coordinator (Simulation) at the 60th anniversary OR Society Conference OR60 (Lancaster, UK)
- Stream coordinator (Stochastic Modelling and Simulation) at the 29th European Conference on Operational Research EURO18 (Valencia, Spain)
- PC member at the annual Winter Simulation Conference 2017 (Las Vegas, NV)
- PC member at the annual Winter Simulation Conference 2016 (Arlington, VA)
- Deliver a tutorial at UK OR Society’s Simulation Workshop 2016 (Stratford, Worcestershire, UK), title “Agent-Based Simulation Tutorial using Repast”
- PC member at the annual Winter Simulation Conference 2015 (Huntington Beach, CA)
- Keynote speaker at Benelux Conference on Artificial Intelligence 2015 (Hasselt, Belgium), title “Agent-based simulation of artificial society: A Management Science’s perspective”
- Keynote speaker at The 2nd National Seminar and Workshop on Inclusive Development in Agriculture 2015 (Bandung, Indonesia), title “The role of science and system modelling in inclusive development”
- Deliver a tutorial at The 2nd National Seminar and Workshop on Inclusive Development in Agriculture 2015 (Bandung, Indonesia), title “Agent-Based Simulation Tutorial using Repast”
- Deliver a tutorial at European Simulation and Modelling Conference (Leicester, UK), title “Agent-Based Simulation Tutorial using Repast”
- PC member at the annual Winter Simulation Conference 2014 (Savannah, GA)
- Program chair at the biennial Operational Research Society Simulation Workshop 2014
- General chair at the annual European Simulation and Modelling Conference 2013
- Program chair at the biennial Operational Research Society Simulation Workshop 2012
My social media accounts